Tag Archives: AGM

2020 AGM

Our plans for this year’s AGM have been scuppered so we are just going to update you on news of the park and leave the Management Committee the same for now: Sandra Bauer, Paul Buckley, Alan Deacon, Kris Inglis, Sonja O’Sullivan, Ron Senkus, Irene Telfer and Iris White. If you would like to join the committee and get more involved, there is a link to use later in this email. New members are always welcome.

Arising from the 2019 AGM:

  • Fundraising from grants has gone quiet (for permanent iron site signage, path maintenance of Dothill etc.) If anyone would like to help with grant applications please contact us!
  • Path maintenance from the carpark was carried out this month. It’s a good job and when I enquired I was told that plans to continue the upgrade (at least patching holes) around and down the hill were in the works
  • Take-litter-home signage supplied by RBG went up just as the committee was about to make more of our own in early lockdown
  • Mowing and major path clearing schedule confirmed with Parks and Open Spaces in July
  • Hedgerow project going ahead – in safe form – starting 12 December. Details to follow
  • Plumcroft School Orchard progressing, with guidance and support of RBG. Lots of work done by Tamasin and her team in preparation for December (tbc)

 

Summary of past year…

We held a successful 2019 Quiz night with Shrewsbury House in November that proved a fun time and a good fundraiser. A member alerted us to the Celebrate National Lottery 25 Grant and turned the application around to meet the deadline. This gave us £775 for wildlife monitoring equipment, a decision based on last year’s AGM discussion of habitats. We have materials for hedgehog surveying, a nature cam and two bat detectors so far and look forward to working parties being able to carry out investigations. Many thanks to Les for all his efforts on this application.

 

After cancelling the March Bird Walk it became clear that every visit to the park would have to be self-directed for the foreseeable future. No Summer Festival, just walks for exercise, play, reflection and running around madly became the main focus. Thank you to everyone who continued to encourage social distancing, responsible picnicking and considerate dog walking during the most stressful times. Many people discovered the pleasure of this open space and experienced the natural world on our doorstep.

 

Have you seen the video showcasing FSP and the park?    Or taken a turn on the swing that appeared in April?

 

Thankyous

We’ve had help with habitat management this summer. One was a survey done by Joe Beale, local environmentalist, who walked the park with a few members to identify habitat diversity and make suggestions as to how we can appropriately support and manage the space.

The Royal Borough of Greenwich Parks and Open Spaces were very cooperative when approached with FSP meadow care concerns: when they met myself and Les Clark they had already mapped out the next two years’ mowing from the same environmental criteria. There is a lot of expertise and experience we can draw on in P and OS.

Thanks to Michelle for providing several months of hedgehog news and guidance posted on the website. And to Les and Liz for establishing watering stations for wildlife throughout the summer and now. Thanks also to Sandra for providing the impetus and editing of the above mentioned video. And thanks to Anthony Hurren who shared his lockdown nature video and won the cover place on the 2021 calendar.

The Lockdown Gallery on the website started in March was a huge success – thanks for kicking it off, John! And of course this fed naturally into the 2021 calendar with voting online that went surprisingly well.  The sale of the 2021 calendar was very successful and thanks for  spreading the resulting product far and wide. The price increased to £6.50 this year and we sold about half in just one of those glorious weekends in the park in July. Results in the Treasurer’s report    THERE ARE STILL 3 LEFT!  Contact werfsp@gmail.com to get one.

May the new year bring more activities back to the park and keep all those positive ones that you’ve discovered in 2020.  Feel free to send any suggestions or concerns via the email address.

See you in the Park

Kris Inglis, Chair

AGM – Thursday 14 Nov at 7pm

“Why should I care about biodiversity?”

Hmmm. Think about it. Then come to the AGM to discuss how we consider the habitats in our own Park.

  • Business meeting including election of Committee (you can put yourself forward on the night or contact werfsp@gmail ahead of time)
  • Any issues members wish to raise regarding the Park
  • A panel presentation will briefly present facts and ideas on the above topic and open up the meeting for your input and concerns on the wondrous variety of habitats and species that deserve to survive here.

AGM 2018 Summary

For those of you who couldn’t attend, here is a summary of the business part of the meeting.  The talk by Andy Brockman that followed it  was very interesting  and brought up questions for discussion. He has forwarded links for those of you who’d like more info …

Chair’s welcome by Kris Inglis

Kris ran through the year’s events so far and thanked all who had taken part or been involved in the organization

Maintenance of bird and bat boxes by members has been completed due to natural wear and tear as well as damage by other birds and squirrels. All ladder work is done in partnership with the council.

Kris mentioned a tree identification walk that local Beavers group have taken part in. It is hoped that Beavers, Cubs and Scouts will help with some grounds maintenance in the park and which will in turn enable them achieve badges to recognize their efforts.

A Brighton parks group had heard about our water fountain installation and have been in contact to find out about the fundraising aspects and process.

Kris ended by asking that Friends of the park continue to respect and appreciate the space and encourage others to do so.

The management committee was introduced. All agreed to re-stand and were voted in unanimously*. If anyone is interested in joining the committee they are welcome to come along to a meeting and decide whether they’d like to contribute.

Treasurer’s Report

Sonja O’Sullivan circulated and spoke to the annual accounts, taking questions at the end. A Parksfest grant from the council for the summer festival helped pay for a number of things but the underspend will be returned in due course.

A discussion covering the promotion of the event and the need for a generator followed and the management committee agreed to take the feedback on board.

New activities for next year were detailed and welcomed.

The committee will canvass opinion on the next improvement project for the park via email.

The business meeting over, our guest speaker Andy Brockman spoke on addressing heritage crime locally.

This is the Police UK Crime statistics site which will show what is going on in your area.  Just enter the post code you are interested in.

https://www.police.uk/search/?next=policing%3Aforce%3Aneighbourhood%3Acrime%3Aindex

This is the page for the Shooters Hill Neighbourhood Team [As you can see they cover Shrewsbury Park, Eaglesfield, and Oxleas].

https://www.police.uk/metropolitan/E05000227/

This looks at the issue of Heritage Crime in broad terms,

https://historicengland.org.uk/advice/caring-for-heritage/heritage-crime/tackling/

This is a guide to reporting a heritage crime [the same principles apply to a wildlife or environmental crime too]. https://historicengland.org.uk/advice/caring-for-heritage/heritage-crime/report/

This is a guide to making sites more secure.  It is mostly about buildings, but there is also material which is useful in talking about securing open spaces like Shrewsbury Park. Worth quoting if speaking to the Council or Police about any security issues 

 

Annual General Meeting – Tuesday 18 October 7-8pm

You are invited to our AGM to be held in Shrewsbury House.  If you have recently joined this is an excellent chance to find out what the Friends do and how you can be active.

  • The meeting will include Chair’s report of FSP activities followed by election of Management Committee members and issues raised by members.
  • Featured talk will be by Dai Jones, Manager of Woodlands Farm.
  • The new 2017 calendar will be on sale at £5, proceeds going to the drinking fountain fund.

See you there!